Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) and 2 years relevant experience *RN Required*
Collaborates with the health care team to coordinate patient and family interventions across the continuum of care, removing barriers and promoting efficient and effective use of resources. Assists patients and families in establishing patient specific goals, both long term and short term. Facilitates appropriate follow up care and/or refers patients (within the designated patient population) to the appropriate next level or site of care. Serves in an advocacy role on behalf of patients, families, and caregivers to ensure safe, equitable healthcare provision. Assists in developing and meeting key Pillar outcomes and system improvement goals including financial, satisfaction, and clinical as the nursing component of the care coordination model. Assists in the nursing component of developing and meeting key Pillar goals including finance, satisfaction, clinical quality of care, innovation, and growth across the continuum of care. Conducts initial and/or concurrent utilization review medical necessity criteria.
Assesses and identifies patients with complex clinical needs that require a coordinated plan of care.
Facilitates optimal reimbursement through certification process.
Leads health care team in outcomes based practice in accordance with VUMC/PCC/TMO strategic initiatives.
Develops case management plan that includes strategies or alternative interventions required to attain optimal patient and family specific outcomes.
Analyzes progress on the plan of care, identifies variances, and intervenes utilizing process improvement methodologies to remove barriers and progress care.
Participates as an active partner with multidisciplinary team members to ensure that patients receive care timely, according to their plan of care and at the appropriate level of care.
Consistently demonstrates a sense of urgency in their work, especially related to escalation/removal of barriers, facilitating an appropriate (timely) LOS and reduction in inappropriate and unnecessary admissions and readmissions.
Demonstrates leadership skills and acts as the key information and education resource for the interdisciplinary team as related to caring for complex needs and securing appropriate services.
Shift: Weekday and Weekends as needed
VCH Care Coordination
The Monroe Carell, Jr Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt Department of Care Coordination is a collaborative of highly trained health care professionals that deliberately organizes patient care activities that bridges gaps along the care pathway for children. Responsible for meeting the needs and preferences of patients in the delivery of high quality, high value care and cost effective care across the continuum. Our department is incorporated within the structure of the Department of Nursing and follows the mission, vision and governance structure set forth by the executive chief
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.