Banner Health believes leadership matters, and we look for people who share our vision making health care easier, so life can be better. Our leaders are at the front of the health care transformation, planning the future of Banner Health.
At Banner University Medical Center, there will be exciting opportunities to be a part of the health care transformation. We are known nationally as an innovative leader in new health care models, the only Level 1 Trauma and Academic Medical Center in Southern Arizona and are on the cutting edge of medical advances. You will work alongside a group of dedicated physicians and staff that perform some of the most state-of-the-art procedures that exist anywhere in the country.
As an Associate Director, you will be overseeing the operations within our Child Life department. Our leadership team prides itself on support and teamwork approach while ensuring each member of our team is accountable to their performance. We have a strong focus on growth and mentoring. Our vision is to provide our staff an environment to thrive and create an excellent customer experience. We have high expectations around providing quality care through teamwork, language of caring, and adhering to Banner Core Behaviors.
This position works Monday- Friday: day shift.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
University Medical Center Tucson Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is nationally recognized for providing exceptional patient care, teaching future health-care professionals and conducting groundbreaking research. Also located onthe campus is Diamond Children's - recognized for its specialized pediatric services including neonatal and intensive care, emergency medicine and cancer therapies. Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is a Level 1 Trauma Center, meaning we care for the most critically injured patients. The hospital is consistently listed among the nation's top hospitals in the prestigious Best Hospitals ranking by U.S. News & World Report. Our nurses' innovative, safe and thoughtful care has been recognized with Magnet(tm) designation fromthe American Nurses Credentialing Center. The hospital's physicians are full-time faculty of the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson. Our specialty services include comprehensive heart and cancer care, advanced neuroscience techniques and a multi-organ transplant program.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for providing leadership and direction for programs under the Child Life department. These programs include child life, which addresses the unique developmental needs of hospitalized children and their families, children's volunteer program, and the hospital school program, which addresses children's academic needs. Includes accountability for planning, data tracking, directing and monitoring patient services provided by these programs to ensure quality outcomes. Position also includes accountability for all recreation areas/playrooms, including the Forever Young Zone, a separate multipurpose auditorium requiring separate budget, development and programming.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Develops performance goals for the Child Life and Hospital School programs consistent with those of the facility and the organization's overall strategic plan. Monitors and analyzes results to identify trends and opportunities for improvement. Evaluates and monitors departmental operations to assure effective staffing, resource utilization, and quality, patient and family centered service delivery.
2. Projects needs, prepares, develops and monitors Child Life, Hospital School, and Forever Young Zone operating and expense budgets, and is accountable for compliance with these budgets. Responsible for teacher contracts, compensation, and supervision. Manages associated grant funds and required reporting. Leads task force responsible for program development, networking/ contracting with public school districts, as well as continued philanthropic funding of hospital school.
3. Provides leadership to the daily operations of child life, children's volunteer, and hospital school programs to achieve a high level of employee engagement through shared leadership and problem solving. Directs recruiting, hiring, selection, salary determinations, coaching, and evaluation for both Banner employed child life staff as well as contracted hospital school staff. Oversees the training, safety and management of children's hospital volunteers and child life interns.
4. Assists in development of policies and procedures that enhance family centered care, safety or ensure regulatory compliance. Identifies and networks resources to enhance patient engagement. To this end, serves as Getwell system manager in partnership with RN Director to integrate the Getwell Network into patient care, and culture of the hospital.
5. Provides clinical support to staff. Maintains expertise and certification to perform all functions listed in child life specialist position description. Actively collaborates with leaders of departments serving children, to achieve goals, and improve quality and continuity of care provided to all pediatric patients.
6. In coordination with Banner Foundation, encourages fundraising for our programs and organization. Actively builds relationships and accountability with donors and staff relative to child life, toy closet, recreational, hospital school, or other children's hospital functions.
7. This position manages all aspects, including budgetary and operational responsibility for child life, hospital school and Forever Young Zone. Currently assigned to one facility but may supervise employees at other Banner facilities. Internal customers are all levels of staff, and volunteers. External customers are patients and families, individuals and community groups, professional organizations, physician's offices, JCAHO, Child Life Council and public schools.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS This position requires knowledge typically attained with completion of a Master's Degree or equivalent in child life, education, healthcare administration or related field and current professional certification.
This position requires skills and abilities normally acquired with 5 years of experience in the management of programs and services, including supervising employees, developing and managing a budget, and start up of new programs/services. Incumbents must possess excellent written and oral communication skills, planning, and organizational skills, along with the ability to lead change.
Must be proficient with commonly used office software programs
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R16537
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.